“No” is perhaps a 2 year old’s favorite word. It’s also a word I find myself repeating over and over again when answering questions about muscle building.
Most lifters have a fear that results will only come once a complex magical formula is unlocked. What they fail to understand is that muscle building is really a simple process.
You lift consistently, use the best tools possible, progress (get a lot stronger), eat so that your body is able to gain muscle mass, and remain patient. Very patient.
To help simplify things I thought it would be fun to list common muscle building questions, and then respond with my favorite answer – no!
72 Common Muscle Building Questions
- Will performing cardio several times per week slow my gains?
- Will doing yoga slow my gains?
- Will I lose a lot of muscle if I take a week off from training?
- Is there a magical rep range?
- is there a magical workout routine?
- Do I need the barbell bench press to build my chest?
- Is the PCF ratio (Protein/Carbs/Fat) 40-40-20 the only way to go?
- Will eating carbs at night make me fat?
- Do I need to frequently deload if I feel fine?
- Is the Smith machine just as good as barbell exercises?
- Is squatting with good form still bad for your knees?
- Is deadlifting with proper form still bad for your back?
- Do you need to deadlift to build a huge back?
- Do you need to squat to build huge legs?
- Great, then it’s ok to completely avoid squats and deadlifts for ever and ever?
- Do I need supplements?
- Do I need to eat every 2.5-3 hours?
- If my post-workout meal is sub-par, will I lose my gains for the day?
- Will having frequent sex limit my gains?
- Do I need to eat all clean foods?
- Is there a black and white answer to all muscle building questions?
- Should I completely avoid lifting straps?
- Do I need elaborate body part splits?
- Do I need to train more than 4 days per week?
- Does protein intake damage your kidneys if they are currently healthy?
- Does weight training stunt your growth?
- Can I add another chest training day to “program X”?
- Can I add another biceps training day to “program Y”?
- Will doing a lot of ab work give me a six pack?
- Do I need to count every gram of protein, carbs and fat each day?
- If I can’t sleep 8 hours per day will I be unable to gain?
- Do I need to train for the pump to make gains?
- Do I need to train like Dorian Yates to make gains?
- Do I need to volume train to make gains?
- I heard that full body workouts are useless. Is that true?
- Should I use the magazine workouts of top bodybuilding stars?
- Is Doggcrapp training magical?
- Is Wendler’s 531 magical?
- Is Starting Strength magical?
- Is StrongLifts magical?
- So and so says frequent feeding is useless. Is that true?
- So and so says intermittent fasting is useless. Is that true?
- If I eat more than 40 grams of protein per sitting does it go to waste?
- Do I need to use whey protein?
- Do I need to use fish oil?
- Do I need to use a pre-workout formula?
- Do I need to train to failure on every set?
- Can I get as big as a pro bodybuilder without steroids?
- I am 5’9″ and weigh 260 pounds. My mom’s scale says my body fat percentage is 12%. Is this correct?
- Can I gain 40 pounds of muscle in 8 weeks?
- My bench press has “only” went up 10 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Is this a plateau?
- Do I need to worry about TUT – time under tension?
- Can I get big without adding much strength?
- Should I curl in the squat rack?
- Will a beard really help my lift totals?
- Are all powerlifters fat?
- Should I make up my own workouts from scratch if I’ve never made gains?
- Will women look like Arnold if they train with resistance?
- Does eating fat make you fat?
- When I decide to cut, do I immediately need to add a ton of cardio?
- I heard I should never train when I am sore. Is this correct?
- The 1-5 rep range doesn’t build muscle, correct?
- High rep sets can’t build muscle, correct?
- Should I deload every time I have a bad training day?
- Do I need to change workout programs every 8 weeks?
- If I train over 60 minutes will I lose all my gains?
- Do I need slow negatives to build muscle?
- I was told I can’t build muscle with machines. Is this correct?
- Is creatine a steroid?
- Does every Youtube form video really teach proper form?
- Will high reps give me muscle definition?
- Should I train differently when I am cutting?
Need clarification about any of these questions? Post a comment and I will respond in a timely manner.
Are there any muscle building questions you would add to this list?